FThere’s nothing more beautiful than a healthy smile. At Niles Family Dentistry, we do everything we can to give you a healthy smile you’re proud of. Additionally, we aim to do this in a way that protects our community and environment. If you need dental care and want to support your environment, here’s why you should come visit our eco-friendly practice right here in Niwot, Colorado.
What is Eco-friendly Dentistry?
Eco-friendly dentistry, also known as green dentistry, focuses on different areas within the practice. We look at how to make our office as sustainable and environmentally friendly as possible. Further, green dental professionals are on the frontlines of maintaining a lifestyle of wellness. EDA-certified eco-friendly dentists that have taken the extra steps to rethink every piece of their business. According to the Eco Dentistry Association, dental professionals who practice green dentistry have met the highest standards of eco-friendly dentistry in three key areas of their practice:
- Dental materials & processes
- Office administration and marketing
- Office construction and furnishing
How Dr. Niles Practices Green Dentistry
Our team here at Niles Family Dentistry has a passion for the environment. To that end, we want to preserve the beauty of our area of Colorado by being as eco-friendly as possible. Further, Dr. Niles supports a wellness lifestyle for herself, her team, and her patients. We always strive to get better, and always looks for areas to improve on to make her practice more green. Here at Niles Family Dentistry, we incorporate this mindset by looking at four areas:
How to reduce more waste and pollution
- We recycled or reused much of the existing building during construction.
- The paint, carpet, and other products (including Beetle Kill wood) used during construction are environmentally friendly.
- We use infection control methods including disposable barriers and sterilization items and toxic disinfectant. In this eco-friendly practice we:
- steam sterilization replaces chemical-based sterilization
- toxic cold-sterilization methods are eliminated
- reusable Sterilization Pouches, Patient Bibs and other barriers
- eco-friendly disinfectants maintain a hospital-grade environment in the operatory
- Placement and removal of mercury-containing dental material — we are a mercury-free practice.
- Conventional x-ray systems – we only use digital x-rays which means that there are no chemicals used to develop conventional x-rays — and less radiation used as well!
- We recycle waste.
How to save water, energy, and money
- We save water by using conventional vacuum systems. To do this, we use a dry vac system here at Niles Family Dentistry (which uses no water). This saves approximately 360 gallons of water a day that is used by a wet ring vacuum — which is used in most dental practices.
- The office has compact fluorescent lights throughout the practice and energy star appliances. With this, uniforms and laundry done in house.
- We have an in office water distiller.
How to incorporate high tech
- To help keep the office as paperless as possible, we have incorporated electronic records.
- We use digital X-rays.
- Our office saves energy by using LED lights in the operator, which use 50% less energy than conventional operatory lights.
How to further support a wellness lifestyle
- Dr. Niles rides her bike to work most days.
- We offer a discount for those who ride their bikes to their appointments. There’s a bike rack in front of the office!
- Dr. Niles supports and encourages others to support local business, within walking distance.
Benefits of Green Dentistry
Dental practices that are green have incorporated everything above, along with other technologies, to help them improve their practices and procedures. According to Consumer Guide to Dentistry, benefits of green dentistry include:
- Less radiation and better diagnostic detail: for example, digital radiography eliminates the need for traditional film X-ray systems. This reduces the harmful chemicals like led and silver that are released into the environment.
- Less chemical contamination and fewer disposables: green dentistry uses high-quality, biodegradable disinfectants and steam sterilization methods that don’t require ventilation for chemical vapors or hazardous waste permits.
- More natural-looking restorations and less heavy metal waste: green dentistry embraces today’s adhesive, metal-free dental restoratives using direct composite bonding or porcelain veneers.
See Dr. Niles for a Green Dentistry Experience
If you have wanted to contribute to preserving the environment, choosing to see a green-friendly dentist is a good start! Dr. Niles provides a range of services from comprehensive exams, oral cancer screenings, oral hygiene care, cleanings, sealants, fillings, crowns, and more! No matter your dental need, Dr. Niles can help you in an eco-friendly fashion. To learn more about our eco-friendly practice, or to make an appointment, call us at: (720)-744-0001.