With the holidays quickly approaching, getting a beautiful smile with some in-office dental treatments can offer you the boost you need for the season! Beginning with Halloween, it is a non-stop celebration from the end of October, until New Year’s Day. The holidays present many opportunities to gather with coworkers, friends and family. Holiday greeting cards and group pictures capture these special moments to last for years to come. You want to look your very best for these occasions, and your smile is the first thing people see when they greet you.
Do you have a confident smile, or a closed mouth grin? When you smile confidently, the positive feelings can be felt. Giving a half-smile or looking solemn will actually draw more attention to what you’re trying to hide in your mouth. If you want a confident smile to stand out, Niles Family Dentistry has some guidelines to help you in that quest. To begin with, good oral hygiene is essential for everyone.
Besides in-office check-ups, the following are four simple steps to achieve a healthy and beautiful smile:
- Brush. Brushing your teeth is the primary way to achieve a healthy and beautiful smile. Brush at least twice daily, using a fluoride toothpaste, which boosts tooth enamel. There are also fluoride toothpastes that add teeth-whitening elements to make your teeth shine brighter. Whichever toothpaste you use, it’s important to brush regularly to reduce oral bacteria that attacks gums and teeth.
- Floss. Only 50% of plaque-causing bacteria is eradicated by brushing. Flossing removes food particles from between the teeth and can clean the other 50% of bacteria that hides between teeth and along the gums.
- Whiten. Stained teeth are unattractive and have a way of aging and denigrating your smile. Some of the chief stain-causing culprits are coffee, tea, wine, tomato sauce, blueberries, cherries, cola and tobacco. The only way to safely do away with these deep and sometimes stubborn stains is to make an appointment with Dr. Niles, or an associate at Niles Family Dentistry, for teeth-whitening treatments to lighten your smile. Whitening treatments can be applied at home after your initial visit. An impression of your mouth will be taken so that the whitening trays are custom fit to your mouth. When the trays are ready, Niles Family Dentistry will show you how to apply the whitening materials, which is done 1-2 times a day for 30-60 minutes. An impressive white smile awaits you just in time for those holiday gatherings. (Length of time for treatment varies from person to person, depending on how deep the stains are).
- Refresh Your Breath. Part of the equation to an attractive smile is fresh breath. Killing germs that cause bad breath is the first step. Besides proper brushing and flossing, ample hydration by drinking lots of water can prevent bad breath. Finally, rinsing your mouth daily with an antimicrobial mouthwash will make your breath smell fresh and your smile will reflect the overall sense of confidence that comes with a healthy mouth!
Cosmetic Dental Treatments to Enhance Your Smile
These four tips will help everyone have healthier teeth. but what about those who have chips or cracks, gaps, or inconsistent tooth length? It’s hard to have a dazzling smile if your teeth, albeit healthy, are unsightly.
Besides routine dental care, Dr. Ashley Niles and her team at Niles Family Dentistry provide cosmetic dental services, including porcelain or ceramic veneers. Veneers are an aesthetic treatment for that beautiful smile you are trying to achieve.
The veneers, made from porcelain or a pressed ceramic covering, are adhered to the front of the tooth and are usually a 2 to 3 step process after consultation.
- Initially, your teeth are prepared by having a small amount of your tooth enamel removed, a mold of your tooth is taken, and a veneer is made to fit perfectly over the old tooth. The molds are then sent to a dental laboratory for fabrication.
- A temporary covering for your teeth is put in place until the veneers are completed.
- Two to three weeks later the veneers come back from the laboratory, the temporary covering is removed and the veneers are then bonded to the teeth.
- Typically, you would have a follow-up two weeks later to examine the placement of the veneer and overall fit.
Appearance is important, veneers are a good choice for those who want a beautiful smile. Veneers are very aesthetic and create a virtual makeover that impacts your whole appearance, boosts your confidence and brings out the best in you.
As you look ahead to the holidays, think about your overall dental health. Smiling and laughing are spontaneous reactions or expressions of joy as you get together with friends and family. You want to relish in your celebrations without feeling insecure or giving a second thought to a less-than-perfect smile.
Call Today for a Smile Consultation
Dr. Niles has the reputation of being a caring and compassionate family dentist. Call our office for state-of-the-art family dentistry, cosmetic dentistry and any other dental needs you may have. Her office is located in Niwot, Colorado, and serves the communities of Longmont, Boulder, Lafayette, and Louisville. Call for your appointment today at (720) 744-0001. We look forward to meeting you and helping with your dental needs, so you can send out a holiday greeting card that reflects your best smile ever!